Andrea Della Gatta,
Conzorzio Pesto Genovese
- 50g of PDO Genoese basil leaves
- PDO Riviera Ligure Extra virgin olive oil
- 6 Tbsp grated Grana Padano or Parmigiano Reggiano
- 2 Tbsp Pecorino (romano, toscano, sardo or siciliano)
- 2 cloves of Vessalico garlic
- 1 Tbsp Italian pine kernels
- 1 tbsp chopped walnuts can be substituted for the pine kernels
- Coarse sea salt from Cervia flats
- Start by pounding the garlic and salt in the mortar with wooden pestle, until you get a smooth paste.
- Add the basil, a handful at a time, and keep grinding using a circular motion until each batch of the leaves is incorporated. To preserve the essential oils in the basil, you shouldn’t be too rough with it.
- Add the pine kernel and grind some more.
- Add the cheeses and mix well.
- Add the oil, little by little, until the Pesto has the right consistency
- Serve with pasta or added to minestrone.
The recommended pastas are trofie, trofiette or trenette, but it goes with just about any pasta. I usually serve it with spaghetti or linguine.