Mario Caramella´s version of this year´s recipe.
- 400 gr durum wheat Italian spaghetti
- 2 cans of Italian peeled tomatoes (San Marzano PDO) – they can be replaced by 600 gr tomatoes from piennolo)
- Fresh garlic
- 5 spoons extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh basil
- In a large pan lightly brown the fresh garlic in the extra virgin olive oil (avoid burning it or it will taste bitter and not right)
- Add the tomatoes, cook at medium heat for 8-10 minutes
- Cook the spaghetti al dente, drain them and toss in the tomato sauce for 1-2 minutes over medium heat
- Put the spaghetti in individual previously warmed plates; add some sauce, a few drops of extra virgin olive oil and a couple of fresh basil leaves on each plate
- Serve warm
You may add some grated Grana Padano PDO cheese, a rather common habit in some Italian families, but the original recipe didn’t include it.